Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cartography - aii.


A map slightly larger than A4 drawn for a home-school study on Russia.

I've struggled with cartography off and on ever since I was six and trying to draw a map of Burkina Faso for U in an alphabet book. My mother solved the problem by telling me to draw the basic shape.

Drawing maps of imaginary countries was fun - I could doing anything I liked with landmass. It was copying the real maps that proved a problem. I did get better, but it is still frustrating to finish a map, and discover that some angles were off and that the sides didn't quite meet (as in this one).

On the other hand, there are small perks, such as discovering that the north east corner of Russia looks like a little dog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin