Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Kiosque Peynet



An older watercolor, this was done so I had a painting of France to go with some from West Africa I'd done. I chose the kiosque as I used to ride by it on the way to school. It is where Peynet likely first began to get his fame, as it is there that he was inspired to draw the first of his (relatively) famous series of lovers. The peak in in the background is the ruins of the Chateau du Crussol, which often played upon my imagination.

A lot of Valence did, from the winding footpath cobblestone road that perhaps my parents had walked upon before I was born, to the great doors with a handle in the middle of the door, to the school I went to with its millstream, forgotten well, and forbidden sections (it was a convent as well as school) the gymnasium we walked to play basketball in. The gym was large and old, with a bullet hole in the high glass. With the Vercors mountains, in which the resistance hid, looming up over the city, I couldn't help wondering if it had played any part in the second World War.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin