Monday, November 2, 2009

A different sort of art - tangram cakes



Challenge: Turn one oatmeal flour cake into a tanagram design for an eight year old boy.

Difficulty: Oat cakes are very good, but tend to be quite crumbly

Actually, the hardest part was figuring out an acceptable design. Giraffes and cats are cute, but not to be compared to the hammer cake I was also decorating. Fortunately my oldest younger brother had figured out the pieces and cut them out, so that I could play around with it. I knew I had only one chance to place the cake pieces on the cookie tray. I was glad when the ship shape met approval.

Then came a very careful lifting out and putting them in place. Then the icing. That made life a little difficult. Icing cut wheat flour cakes can be difficult enough without a glaze first. Oat flour cakes make them seem almost easy by comparison. This was a little disappointing, as I enjoy playing around with icing.

Still - it was a tangram cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin