Thursday, August 27, 2009

gifts and unexpected opportunities

Sometimes gift can be used in places and ways one would never expect, even small gifts.

A couple of summers ago, I went to India for three months as a teacher's aid.
The school had a small collection of learn-to-read English, about which was nice, but not enough for a classroom of twenty to thirty children.
So one of my supervisors, a very dear lady from England, took the words from the books and wrote new stories for them on giant card. She then asked me to illustrate them.







A friend of my mother's, reflecting on her own mother's life service, said that it was likely that the decorating she did for various friends living overseas was among the greatest service she had ever done. My guess is that this women thought she was just helping out with what she enjoyed doing.

I hope to remember that, even when helping is little more than being the dog running to get Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin