Monday, August 17, 2009

A Wedding Card




A good friend of mine from school just got married last Saturday. So after much long thought, I created the above painting to use for their card.

I started out by doodling out the design. I knew I wanted verses from 1 Corinthians 13.

Initially, I thought I'd like to do a portrait of the couple, helping each other with the dishes. The problem was that I only had a sketch of my friend, not her fiance, and having only met the chap twice, I wasn't too sure about attempting to portray him from memory alone.

Then, I remembered that they both liked hiking. This fell into place with trees, the memory of a very stylized plate another friend designed for her own wedding, and the song " Like a tree planted by the water."

Two trees, crossing each other, branches and roots forming a heart took place in my thumbnail sketch.

I penciled the outline while driving with my mother to pick peaches to dry for the winter.
After the peaches were taken care of for the day, painting began.

I worked slowly. Although watercolor is relatively forgiving on the right paper, this was an expression of love for a wedding - I wanted to do my best.

I hope they have a blessed marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin