Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Improvement = Practice : a visual representation of what practice can do





The above picture was a simple sketch done five years ago. To be honost, I thought it was pretty good at the time and compared to what I did five years previous to that, it was.

The picture below is a simple sketch done a few weeks ago. I haven't taken any art lessons, though I have likely picked up a few things from books and looking at other's art.

What made the difference is constant doodling and experimentation almost any time I have a writing implement on hand and some paper. My family will tell you - I have been known to decorate napkins with burnt matches before.

The thing is that I tend to draw people, with some animals and other things occasionally thrown in. So while these are decent people drawn off of the top of my head, if you asked me to draw, say a car without something to copy from, it might look quite a bit strange. I haven't practiced. Yet a boy I know might well be able to pull off a wonderful car, while only drawing a basic person.

It's amazing what can happen when one practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin