Friday, August 14, 2009

Small deeds

I long to soar - to live life to its fullest.
Yet I do not see that little things like helping a younger sister enjoy math, planting beets for harvest later, drying peaches, cooking supper for my mother - these are all things of beauty and of worth.

I once read a story about the knights of the silver star. The most valiant among them would have a silver star appear upon his shield at the moment of some great deed. A battle arose, and all longed to go out and fight - and all did so, save one young man, chosen to stay and guard the castle gate. All day long he fought his feelings of despair at having been chosen for such a lowly task. Worse yet, he had to face the taunts of visitors, who called him out to the battle, and finally the news of one old lady who informed him that his friends did poorly. Still, he held his trust, bitter though it was. And it was well, for his mockers, and yea, even the old lady, were the castle's enemies, trying to breach the defenses. So it was that that young knight won his silver star.

There is a time and a place for daring-do and great deeds, but there is also a time and a place for small and quiet deeds. "For the want of the nail, the shoe was lost ..."

I hope I can be faithful in little, and not look too far ahead.

2 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful and wise. Thank you, beautiful friend. It really helps me to remember some important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad, dear friend. It was what I've been reminded of recently.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin